Coromandel Coastal Walkway - The Last Frontier - Hike and Bike Options Available
A Full Day Tour - Starts and Finishes 105 Wharf Road, Coromandel Town 8.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
Experience the magnificence of the Coromandel Coastal Walkway with Coromandel Discovery. This 'easy walking track' (as graded by Department of Conservation) follows a well formed bridle path once used by early Maori and European Settlers. Unpassable by vehicles, the ten kilometre track is the only way to link east with west, around the tip of the Northern Coromandel Peninsula.
Travelling with us on this exclusive full day tour around the Northern Coromandel Peninsula, allows you to access a remote part of the country where many rental vehicles are forbidden. Enjoy our commentary which includes a tapestry of maori legends, colonial history, local gossip and ecological restoration. Visit isolated villages as we traverse the Coromandel and Moehau Ranges with outstanding sea views along the way. The photo opportunities are endless.
Your self-guided Coastal Walkway journey begins from Stony Bay, with a gradual climb through pristine native bush with glimpses of the remote and rugged coastline. Pause for lunch, soak up the scenery and birdsong before strolling through farmland with views to Great Barrier and Beyond.
Rejoin the minibus at Fletcher Bay and enjoy refreshments or perhaps a swim in the sea. Keen walkers may choose to add the cliff top Muriwai Walk to their day with its stunning views over the Colville Channel (can be tide dependant).
The homeward journey travels beside the island studded Hauraki Gulf and through the historic town of Colville with its iconic general store. Your day concludes in Coromandel Town allowing plenty of time to dine at one of town's delicious restaurants.
- Adults: 16yrs+. Up to $170 elsewhere, book direct and save, from $140 per person for this full day tour.
- Minimum two passengers required.
- Children: 0-15yrs $95
Please contact us for:-
- detailed itinerary.
- bike options through our sister company Bush e Bikes.
- summer shuttle for holidaymakers staying at northern DOC campgrounds i.e. Fletcher Bay, Stoney Bay, Fantail Bay and Port Jackson.
- Papa Aroha and Colville pickups to join the tour at Coromandel.
Muriwai Walk Tour Overview
- On a tighter time frame perhaps but still keen to explore the Northern Coromandel?
- Rental vehicle unable to travel on the gravelly roads north of Colville?
- Arriving on the ferry, staying a couple of days and looking for something to do?
Consider the Muriwai Walk at Port Jackson, with its stunning views over the lively Colville Channel to Great Barrier and Beyond. Three kilometres of formed walk along a stunning ridge line that is certainly worth seeing. Pass by the former location of Wharekaiatua Pa and out along the glorious Port Jackson beach. Enjoy a picnic on the beach or perhaps venture in for a refreshing swim.
This six hour tour departs from Coromandel Town at 11.30 a.m. and travels along the western, coastal route beside the island studded Hauraki Gulf. Explore the iconic village of Colville with its historic General Store, Art Galleries, Cafe and unique Himalaya Shop (some seasonal hours may apply).
Your guide will provide you with an informative commentary on the history, geology and ecology of the area, plus Maori legends and local gossip.
The Tour returns over the same route arriving in Coromandel Town between 5-6pm. This allows you ample time to dine at one of town's delicious restaurants.
- Adults: 16yrs+ $99 per person.
- Minimum two passengers required.
- Children: 0-15yrs $59.
- Bring with you your swimsuit and towel, insect repellant, sunscreen, sunhat, warm clothes, walking shoes and your camera.
- Lunch and snacks available from Colville.
- Departs 11.30 a.m. Returns 5-6 p.m.
- This walk can at times be weather and tide dependant.
Scenic Bus Tour Overview
Are you wanting to take a tour of the Complete Northern Coromandel without a hike on the Coromandel Coastal Walkway? Stay on the minibus for the drive from Coromandel Town and enjoy the scenery if you would rather not walk. Experience Stony Bay, Port Jackson and Fletcher Bay at your leisure, maybe a short walk, a swim or read a book. Your informative day tour starts at 8.30 am from our base in Coromandel Town and returns between 5-6pm.Inquire Now
Hotwater Beach & Cathedral Cove
This tour travels from west to east via the iconic 309 Road, home to the Mussel Kitchen, Stu the Pigman, The Waterworks, Waiaua Falls and the Waiau Kauri Grove. 309 Honey is situated in the heart of manuka honey country midway along The 309. Other sites include the historic Coroglen Tavern, famous for seeing in the New Year in style as well as Wilderland Organics, supplying organic food and wares throughout the year.
Experience the magnificence of Cathedral Cove with its endless photo opportunities and isolated beaches. Admire the pristine waters of Te Whanganui-A-Hei Marine Reserve just nearby. Dig your own thermal spa at Hotwater Beach and enjoy the bubbling warmth (approx. 64 degrees) sought after by many a traveller gone before you.
- Allow up to 8 hours for this tour.
- Departure times can vary as the visit to Hotwater Beach is tide dependant i.e. two hours either side of low tide will ensure a successful dig to discover hot water.
- The walk to Cathedral Cove is 2.5 kilometres and is graded 'easy walking track'. This part of the tour can take 1.5 to 2 hours for the return trip.
- Bring your sunhat, suntan lotion, towel, togs, sturdy walking shoes, jacket, camera and water. Food is available at your destination or purchase from Coromandel Town before we depart. The Coromandel Bakehouse and Wharf Road café are within a stone’s throw from our Base.
- We provide spades for digging at Hotwater Beach.
Price: Minimum two passengers required. Discounts available for group bookings.
- Adults: 16yrs+ $155 per person.
- Children: 0-15yrs $105 per person.
You tell us where you would like to go. We cater for private charters including:
- Wedding parties
- Corporate Groups
- Team Building Events
- Family Reunions
- Outings to Colville or Tangiaro Lodge
- Sports Events
- Concerts out of town
- Whenever you need a group moved
We can help you get around the Coromandel Open Art Studios in October or even a quick trip out to the 360 Discovery Ferry if you missed the bus. Transport also available to Auckland Airport subject to availability.
Only have around three hours to spare?............ Let us take you from Coromandel Town to New Chums Beach. This was voted No 60 of the 101 Must Dos for Kiwis and featured as one of the Top 10 beaches to visit. It is a magnificent piece of coastline with its golden sands and Pohutukawa lined beach. It is a jewel in New Zealand’s crown with no road access, housing or infrastructure. Priced from $70 per person (minimum two required). The time allowance includes a 1.5km walk graded “easy” over to the secluded New Chum’s Beach.
Please contact us for private charter bookings.Inquire Now
Bike Transport – Hike or Bike Options – Bike Hire from Bush e Bikes
Anything By Bike, then talk to us. Discover the real Coromandel at your leisure.
Join the Coromandel Coastal Walkway Tour, hike the Walkway from Stony Bay and bike back along Port Jackson Road with its magnificent seaviews over the Hauraki Gulf. We will deliver your bike, or the hire bike to Fletcher Bay to start the second part of your journey. Stay a night or two with self contained backpacker accommodation at Fletcher Bay or enjoy motel and farmstay accommodation at Colville.
Perhaps bike to New Chums Beach over the Forestry Road via Castle Rock and we will shuttle you back over that beastly steep Whangapoua hill!
We have both a covered trailer (12 bikes) and uncovered trailer (6 bikes) that can do the job for you.
This is a new, flexible option, so please contact us and let’s see how we can help you. Our goal is to support our customers to ensure they get the best Coromandel experience.Inquire Now