Coromandel Coastal Walkway
Starts and Finishes 105 Wharf Road, Coromandel Town 8.30 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. approx. Check-in from 8.15 a.m.
Experience the beauty of the Coromandel Coastal Walkway with Coromandel Discovery. This 'easy walking track' (as graded by Department of Conservation) follows a well formed bridle path once used by early Maori and European Settlers. Unpassable by vehicles, the ten kilometre Coromandel Coastal Walkway is the only way to link east with west, around the tip of the Northern Coromandel Peninsula.
Travelling with us on this exclusive full day tour around the Northern Coromandel Peninsula, allows you to access a remote part of the country where many rental vehicles are forbidden. Enjoy our commentary which includes a tapestry of maori legends, colonial history, local gossip and ecological restoration. Visit isolated villages as we traverse the Coromandel and Moehau Ranges with outstanding sea views along the way. The photo opportunities are endless.
Your self-guided, 3-4 hour Coastal Walkway journey begins from Stony Bay around 11 a.m., with a gradual climb through pristine native bush with glimpses of the remote and rugged coastline. Pause for lunch, soak up the scenery and birdsong before you conquer the steeper section in and out of Poley Bay. Finish with a stroll down through an impressive sheep and beef farm with spectacular views out to Great Barrier Island and Beyond.
Rejoin the minibus at Fletcher Bay as we travel to Port Jackson to enjoy refreshments and chocolate brownie and perhaps even a swim in the sea. Keen walkers may choose to add the cliff top Muriwai Walk to their day with its stunning views over the Colville Channel (can sometimes be tide dependant and takes about one hour).
The homeward journey travels beside the island studded Hauraki Gulf and through the historic town of Colville with its iconic general store. Dolphins and orca can sometimes be seen just metres from the pohutukawa lined shores. Your day concludes in Coromandel Town allowing plenty of time to dine out at one of town's delicious restaurants.
We often receive inquiries requesting "just a shuttle". Travel time for the day totals approx four hours while the Walkway can also take four hours. We always incorporate a few comfort stops throughout the day to ensure our travellers arrive safe and refreshed as the roads are slow, narrow, gravelly and winding. Taking in the Muriwai Walk, a swim on the beach and coffee and cake are all an added bonus, and we'll even throw our commentary in for free! All adds up to pretty good value for what is a very full, fantastic day out where you get to see all the Northern Peninsula and walk the Coastal Walkway, one way!
- Adults: 16yrs+ $140.00. Children: 10-15yrs $95.
- Minimum two passengers required.
- Credit Card fee applies of 2.8%.
- Please bring sturdy walking shoes, lunch, snacks, water, sun protection, insect repellent, swimsuit and towel. Our weather can be changeable so it is also advisable to carry a warm layer and a rain jacket. Topup water supplies available in the van.
- We advise our travellers to stay in Coromandel the night before and after the tour. This is a full day and can be tiring if additional travel is required to and from accommodation located out of town. It may be helpful with your planning to know Whitianga and Thames are approximately an hour's drive away from Coromandel Town.
- The steeper section of approximately 600 metres, down and out of Poley Bay is a challenge for some of our hikers. We can discuss this with you if you would like further clarification.
Please contact us for bookings and for:-
- a copy of our detailed itinerary.
- Papa Aroha and Colville pickups to join the tour at Coromandel.
- bike options through our sister company Bush e Bikes.
Explore this special piece of paradise with Coromandel Discovery
Coromandel Coastal Connection - Drive, Hike & Bike Package
Drive the Eastern Peninsula, Hike the Coastal Walkway and Bike the Coast Road Home - Two Days/One Night
It's time we created something for everyone! Ideal for couples, team building, social clubs or like minded groups looking for adventure.
This tour can be taken at anytime throughout the year, weekday or weekend. Avoid the summer rush, get off the beaten track and explore in absolute peace!
Day One: Jump on the Coromandel Discovery minibus for a unique tour of the unexplored eastern Coromandel Peninsula with its contrasting coastlines and isolated villages. Discover the magic of Kennedy Bay, Tuateawa and Little Bay. Pause for a coffee at Tangiaro Lodge nestled at the base of a bushclad hillside. Set off on your self guided Coromandel Coastal Walkway hike from Stony Bay, a 10 kilometre scenic journey that travels an old bridle path once used by early Maori and European Settlers. Enjoy lunch at the Lookout with its spectacular views to Great Barrier Island and Beyond. Stroll through a largescale sheep and beef station located at the tip of the Peninsula with its own private bays and beaches. Your accommodation is a well appointed, self contained DOC Backpackers Lodge located a short walk from the beach. Dinner is a delicious BBQ meal topped off with yummy dessert.
Day Two: Enjoy a hearty breakfast as the sun rises in the east while your quality Gepida Electric Bike supplied by Bush e Bikes awaits you. Bike the 35 kilometre scenic route around the top of Cape Colville and down the pohutukawa fringed Port Jackson Road. Savour the scenery and experiences. This ride is one of the best and something not to be missed! Regroup at Colville for a bite to eat at the ever popular Hereford N a Pickle Cafe. The last part of the journey has two options:-
- continue the 26 kilometre tarsealed journey home along the scenic Colville Road with its secluded beaches and beautiful sea views.
- rejoin the minibus and travel the same scenic route home in airconditioned comfort.
A perfect two dayer or talk to us about extending your stay at either Fletcher Bay or Colville.
Priced from NZ$399 per person (incl GST). Price includes:-
- minibus tour to the start of the Coromandel Coastal Walkway
- one night's accommodation, shared bunkroom sleeps four people. Own room available for an extra $52 per couple.
- dinner and breakfast. Pre-prepared with some basic cooking required. Or save $'s and we can transport your own food to Fletcher Bay.
- hire of a quality european Gepida electric bike to help you conquer those hills with ebike ease.
- Bike accessories e.g. helmet, pannier, maps, hi vis, bike lock.
- Bike transportation all taken care of. And yes, please contact us if you prefer to bring your own bike or hire a standard mountainbike.
- Any extra supplies and luggage delivered to your accommodation. All linen, towels and bedding provided.
Price does not include lunch, refreshments and snacks on day one and day two. Credit Card fee applies of 2.8%.
The bike section on day two is along a quiet gravel road suitable for confident cyclists. Plenty of time is allowed for stops along the way to make it back to Colville in time for lunch.
Please contact us for a detailed itinerary. Flexible options also available to tailor a package to suit you.Inquire Now
Muriwai Walk Tour Overview
- On a tighter time frame perhaps but still keen to explore the Northern Coromandel?
- Rental vehicle unable to travel on the gravelly roads north of Colville?
- Arriving on the ferry, staying a couple of days and looking for something to do?
Consider the Muriwai Walk at Port Jackson, with its stunning views over the lively Colville Channel to Great Barrier and Beyond. Three kilometres of formed walk along a stunning ridge line that is certainly worth seeing. Pass by the former location of Wharekaiatua Pa and out along the glorious Port Jackson beach. Enjoy a picnic on the beach or perhaps venture in for a refreshing swim.
This six hour tour departs from Coromandel Town at 11.30 a.m. and travels along the western, coastal route beside the island studded Hauraki Gulf. Explore the iconic village of Colville with its historic General Store, Art Galleries, Cafe and unique Himalaya Shop (some seasonal hours may apply).
Your guide will provide you with an informative commentary on the history, geology and ecology of the area, plus Maori legends and local gossip.
The Tour returns over the same route arriving in Coromandel Town between 5-6pm. This allows you ample time to dine at one of town's delicious restaurants.
- Adults: 16yrs+ $99 per person.
- Minimum two passengers required.
- Children: 7-15yrs $59.
- Credit Card fee applies of 2.8%.
- Bring with you your swimsuit and towel, insect repellent, sunscreen, sunhat, warm clothes, walking shoes and your camera.
- Lunch and snacks available from Colville.
- Departs 11.30 a.m. Returns 5-6 p.m. Bookings essential.
- This walk can at times be weather and tide dependant.
Scenic Bus Tour Overview
Are you wanting to take a tour of the Complete Northern Coromandel without a hike on the Coromandel Coastal Walkway? Stay on the minibus for the drive from Coromandel Town and enjoy the scenery if you would rather not walk. Experience Stony Bay, Port Jackson and Fletcher Bay at your leisure, maybe a short walk, a swim or read a book. Your informative day tour starts at 8.30 am from our base in Coromandel Town and returns between 5-6pm.Inquire Now
You tell us where you would like to go. We cater for private charters including:
- Wedding parties
- Corporate Groups
- Team Building Events
- Family Reunions
- Outings to Colville or Tangiaro Lodge
- Sports Events
- Concerts out of town
- Whenever you need a group moved
Experience the magnificence of Cathedral Cove with its endless photo opportunities and isolated beaches. Admire the pristine waters of Te Whanganui-A-Hei Marine Reserve just nearby. Dig your own thermal spa at Hotwater Beach and enjoy the bubbling warmth (approx. 64 degrees) sought after by many a traveller gone before you. Talk to us about a private charter to this super popular destination.
Only have around three hours to spare?............ Let us take you from Coromandel Town to New Chums Beach. It is a magnificent piece of coastline with its golden sands and Pohutukawa lined beach. It is a jewel in New Zealand’s crown with no road access, housing or infrastructure. The time allowance includes a 1.5km walk graded “easy” over to the secluded New Chum’s Beach.
We can help you get around the Coromandel Open Art Studios in October or even a quick trip out to the 360 Discovery Ferry if you missed the bus. Transport also available to Auckland Airport subject to availability.
Please contact us for private charter bookings.Inquire Now
Bike Transport – Hike or Bike Options – Bike Hire from Bush e Bikes
Anything By Bike, then talk to us. Discover the real Coromandel at your leisure.
Perhaps bike to New Chums Beach over the Forestry Road via Castle Rock and we will shuttle you back over that beastly steep Whangapoua hill!
We have both a covered trailer (12 bikes) and uncovered trailer (6 bikes) that can do the job for you.
This is a new, flexible option, so please contact us and let’s see how we can help you. Our goal is to support our customers to ensure they get the best Coromandel experience.Inquire Now